Couples looking for unique ways to wed now have some new options at The Buccaneer Hotel on St. Croix in the U.S. Virgin Islands. One novel new offering involves a festive “jump the broom” rite of passage, a modern interpretation of an ancient African tradition in which the couple jumps over a gaily-decorated broom, symbolizing a new life together with a clean sweep. The Jump the Broom option, priced at $500, is an extra feature which can be added to any of the Buccaneer’s Hibiscus, Sugar Mill, Bougainvillea, or Elope to Paradise wedding packages.
The Package: All Buccaneer wedding packages include:
- Wedding location at the resort’s restored 17th century sugar mill or its palm-lined beach
- the services of a personal wedding planner and non-denominational minister
- services of a photographer and selection of 40 images plus CD
- his and hers Buccaneer bathrobes
- his and her massages
- bride’s bouquet and groom’s boutonniere
- his and hers sterling “hook” bracelets
- welcome basket of champagne, fruit, cheese, and chocolate.
- “Hibiscus” begins at $8,100 for a minimum of 20 adults, not including accommodations
- “Sugar Mill” includes a beach wedding followed by dinner for up to 12 people in the restored 17th century sugar mill overlooking the sea, for $5,500 for 12 people
- “Bougainvillea” for two to 19 guests offers a wedding dinner at The Terrace restaurant with wedding cake and champagne for $2,650 for two
- “Elope to Paradise” includes the packages’ shared features for up to six guests, starting at $1,350 for two.
Why It’s Dreamy: The Buccaneer, family-owned and operated for 64 years, is the Caribbean’s longest-running resort. The resort has the distinction of being owned and managed by the Armstrong family since 1947. The main building dates back the 17th century when it served as a Knights of Malta manor, and in subsequent decades the property served as the childhood home of Alexander Hamilton, a French Great House, sugar plantation, cotton farm, and cattle operation.
Located on the eastern end of St. Croix, less than a five-minute drive from the historic town of Christiansted, The Buccaneer’s 340 tropical acres include an 18-hole golf course, eight tennis courts, three beaches, a water sports center, a two-mile nature and fitness trail, fitness center, spa, three restaurants, a shopping arcade, and other amenities.
For More Information:
- visit www.thebuccaneer.com