We can say firsthand that Salt Spring Island is a real beauty. Just a short hop from Victoria or Vancouver, British Columbia, the island is home to the pampering Hastings House Country Estate, located on 22 acres of natural emerald forest and sheep pastures, manicured lawns, and vibrant gardens. The property offers destination weddings with the backdrop of this slice of paradise.
The Wedding Package: The Hastings House Wedding Package is offered for the bride and groom for CDN$4025,* exclusive of additional beverages, taxes and gratuities and includes:
• Transportation to and from seaplane dock or ferry terminal on Salt Spring Island
• accommodations in a deluxe suite for 3 nights
• rooms personalized with the name of the guests on the door
• basket of fruit and treats from Hastings House kitchen
• daily morning wake-up hamper, breakfast and afternoon tea
• 3-course dinner in the Dining Room of the Manor House
• 6-course dinner in the Dining Room or Verandah
• 3-course fireside dinner in the newlyweds’ suite or private balcony
• license and commissioner (similar to a justice of the peace)
• transportation to and from government office to obtain marriage license
• champagne and cake, served in location of couple’s choice
• floral bouquet, boutonniere, and table arrangement
• copy of Hastings House Country Estate, a coffee table book with recipes, beautiful resort photography and history about the property’s colorful past.
This package may be expanded to include members of the wedding party and guests. Up to 48 people can be accommodated in the hotel’s suites; additional accommodations can be arranged nearby for larger groups. Additionally, a customized version can be arranged by the resort’s wedding planner to incorporate special interests, guest preferences, and more.
Wedding Venues: Hastings House can host parties from 2 to 80 guests with several distinctive indoor and outdoor wedding locations including: the rustic and private Summerhouse on the Point, the vine-covered Wishing Well, the Flower Gardens, the Orchard, or the harbor view Lower Patio or front lawns.
Expert on-site wedding planning by Hastings House’s Manager Shirley McLaughlin helps each couple create their dream wedding, with skillful coordination of all aspects from obtaining the license to arranging wedding commissioners who perform the ceremony, florists, musicians, photographers and the culinary team. Additional services such as hair and makeup styling and spa treatments are available to complete the wedding experience. For religious ceremonies, a horse and carriage can also carry the bride and groom from nearby churches for receptions at Hastings House. Various packages are offered depending on the size of the wedding party, each providing VIP treatment.
Why It’s Dreamy: A member of the prestigious Relais & Châteaux hotel group since 1986, Hastings House Country Estate continues to rank as one of the premiere island destinations in British Columbia. The resort was named the Best Canadian Resort by Zagat, has been an Andrew Harper Award Winner eight times, and features among Condé Nast Traveler’s Top 3 in Canadian Hotels on the 2004 “Readers’ Choice Awards” as well as the magazine’s “Gold List.”
The Manor House, built in 1938-40 to resemble the 11th-century Sussex family home of Warren Hastings, a WWII naval architect, has two upper level guest suites with leaded glass windows and flat stone fireplaces, wide-plank fir floors and beams. Nine guests suites are in lovingly restored historic buildings scattered around the property, including the Post, a private two-room cottage that was the original Hudson Bay’s trading post on the island. Seven deluxe suites overlooking the harbor offer rustic elegance with large soaking tubs with separate shower, heated tile floors and towel bars, fireplaces, and water views from every bedroom, balcony and sitting room.
Getting There: Float plane service is available to Salt Spring Island from Vancouver, BC and Seattle, WA. British Columbia Ferry Corporation, with terminals at Tsawwassen (near Vancouver) and Swartz Bay (near Victoria), also provides car ferry service to the island. The closest airports are located at Victoria, Vancouver and Seattle and are served by several international carriers and connector airlines.
For More Information:
• call (250) 537-2362
• fax (250) 537-5333
• visit www.hastingshouse.com