My boyfriend will be home on leave in May and I’d like to plan a three-day getaway for us. I live in Miami. We’re very active and enjoy outdoor sports. Do you have any ideas for us? Thanks!
Thanks for your email; how romantic that you’re planning a getaway for the two of you on your boyfriend’s return! You’re located in a good city for getaways whether you’d like to drive or fly. Here are a few suggestions for a long weekend:
- The Keys. Hop in the car and head south to Key West; there’s a small town, island atmosphere here with fun bars and restaurants downtown. Hemingway’s home is just a few blocks away and you can end the day watching the sunset, a real Key West experience. Some of the other Keys are also popular; there are some very nice resorts (albeit pricey, such as Little Palm Island). Key West has a variety of price ranges for accommodations.
- St. Petersburg. The Don Cesar Hotel is a favorite with romantics; it’s an historic hotel that’s often compared to a wedding cake.
- The Bahamas. It’s just a short trip to either Grand Bahama or Nassau. Grand Bahama is closer and smaller; the biggest resort there is the Westin Our Lucaya. There’s a beautiful beach on Grand Bahama, some markets, gardens, swimming with dolphins, etc. Nassau is home to Atlantis Resort with a huge casino, waterpark, lots of restaurants, etc. Nassau has some very historic spots, dolphin swims, gardens, and good duty free shopping.
- Jamaica. It’s a little further but you’ll find numerous all-inclusives in Jamaica if you’d like to go that route. May’s an economical time; you’ll miss high season which ends in mid-April. Each resort area has attractions: Dunn’s River Falls, Rose Hall plantation house, lots of snorkeling, bike tours, ATV tours, etc.
- Dominican Republic. The Dominican Republic is one of the most economical places in the Caribbean. It also has many all-inclusives in all price ranges and many ecotourism activities: hiking, biking, snorkeling, scuba, etc.
If you’re thinking of something further afield, just let us know but we tried to think of places you could squeeze into a long weekend. Happy travels! Paris & John