As 2008 cames to a close, Lovetripper takes a look back at some of the stylish silhouettes the stars wore when they said “I do.” What’s your pick for the year’s dreamiest wedding dress?
1) Portia de Rossi— While only time will tell if same sex marriages will once again be legally recognized in the state of California, there’s no doubt that the former Arrested Development star will always feel married in her heart to talk show dynamo Ellen DeGeneres after a romantic wedding ceremony held at the couple’s Los Angeles home. For their special day, the actress donned a blush pink Zac Posen creation consisting of a halter top top which flowed into a full, ballgown skirt.
2) Jenna Bush— Republicans and Democrats alike agreed that the Oscar de la Renta gown (seen in the photo below) worn by the President’s daughter to her wedding with Henry Hager was a dream design. Constructed of silk organza accented with embroidery and matte beading, the couturier’s creation blended high society sophistication into the down home ceremony held on the grounds of the family’s Prairie Chapel Ranch in Crawford, Texas.
3) Roselyn Sanchez— Without a Trace of doubt in her mind, the actress donned a strapless creation by Angel Sanchez, the same designer who has also concocted the wedding day dress of one of the invited guests, Eva Longoria-Parker. Putting her fashionable foot forward, the scarlet soles of her Christian Louboutin stilettos added an element of color as she walked down the aisle in the ruffled raiment toward her groom, actor Eric Winter.
4) Shauna Wilcox— Wearing the year’s most lavish look, the bride of Baltimore Ravens star Daniel Wilcox scored a touchdown with her Prina Tornai design. A lace-edged veil draped over the gown’s folds, which cascaded to a cathedral length as she stepped out of a Cinderella carriage and walked to the 50-yard line of the M&T Bank Stadium for the ceremony.
5) Ashlee Simpson— A cathedral-length veil spilled out behind her as the refrain of The Beatles’ “Blackbird” escorted the pop star down the aisle. While her bridesmaids and groom were garbed in black, the bride opted for the romance of an ivory lace Monique Lhuillier design on the day she said “I do” to Fall Out Boy’s Pete Wentz.
6) Mariah Carey— A pair of Christian Louboutin stilettos prevented the hem of Grammy Award winner’s Nile Cmylo wedding dress from shifting in the sand of her Windemere Island estate as she exchanged vows with Nick Cannon during a sunset ceremony. The fabric of the curve-conscious creation was off-white, transforming into a pale pink which harmonized with the hue of the emerald-cut diamond which takes center stage on the singer’s Jacob the Jeweler engagement ring.
7) Katharine McPhee— Capturing the mood of the moment, the heavenly voices of a choir sang “Joyful, Joyful” after the American Idol finalist was pronounced the wife of Nick Cokas. Walking back up the aisle on the arm of her new husband, the delicate Spanish Chantilly lace and tulle of her Manuel Mota for Pronovias gown swept the aisle of the Beverly Hills Presbyterian Church.
8) Beverley Mitchell— a Melissa Sweet silhouette composed of a body-hugging bodice which flowed into a trumpet skirt made the former 7th Heaven star look like an angel for her long-time love, Michael Cameron, who wore Kenneth Cole attire on their special day. The happy couple were united in matrimony in the presence of the bride’s one-time small screen siblings Mackenzie Rosman and Jessica Biel (who attended with beau Justin Timberlake) at the Santa Maria della Gradillo church in Ravello, Italy.
9) Jewel Kilcher-– The ivory lace of the Grammy Award winner’s Monique Lhuillier gown was bathed in candlelight as she stepped on to the sands at The Cove Atlantis for a nighttime ceremony with rodeo champion Ty Murray.
10) Ivana Trump— Although the marriage did not stand the test of time, the socialite will always have the memory of wearing her Zuhair Murad wedding dress on the day she said “I do” to Rossano Rubicondi at the Mar-a-Lago estate. The Swarovski crystals applied to the garment’s pale pink silk dazzled in the daylight as a pair of pink diamond-studded Manolo Blahnik shoes carried her to her groom.