As we get ready to say so long to 2008, Lovetripper takes a look back at a few of the well-known traveling twosomes who packed their bags this year for a destination “I do.”
1) Roselyn Sanchez and Eric Winter— A pair of Christian Louboutin stilettos carried the Without A Trace star down a path lined with roses and hydrangeas to the altar at San Cristobal fort in San Juan, Puerto Rico. Realizing that they had much to be thankful for on that Thanksgiving Day weekend, the bride and her newly-dubbed husband shared their joy with a number of notables, including Desperate Housewives cast member Eva Longoria-Parker, CSI: Miami‘s Adam Rodriguez, Without a Trace castmates Anthony LaPaglia, Poppy Montgomery and Eric Close as well as a four-footed member of the lovebirds’ family– their dog Mota.
2) Wayne Rooney and Coleen McLoughlin— A long-time love reached its ultimate goal when the British soccer star said “I do” in Italy. A flock of angels on a the frescoed ceiling hovered overhead during the couple’s civil ceremony inside Villa Durazzo at Santa Margherita Lugire , which was followed by a religious blessing of their union at the Church of San Michele di Pagano.
3) Beverley Mitchell and Michael Cameron— Former small screen siblings Mackenzie Rosman and Jessica Biel took on the role of bridesmaids at the wedding of their one-time 7th Heaven cast mate. The actress, who played a minister’s daughter on the heartwarming series, was pronounced the wife of her longtime love inside the Santa Maria della Gradillo church in Ravello, Italy on October 1, 2008.
4) Mariah Carey and Nick Cannon— The multi-Grammy Award winner’s “Vision of Love” included a wedding ceremony on the sands of her Windemere Island estate in the Bahamas.
5) Antonio Pierce and Jocelyn Maldonado— As the setting sun cast its last rays over the Hoku Lani private estate on the island of Maui on May 24, 2008, the dimming light danced on the facets of the bride’s 4-carat round-cut diamond engagement ring from Designed by Alme as the New York Giants linebacker slipped a wedding band on the model’s finger. Following the exchange of vows, the Hawaiian happiness continued for the newlyweds and their 60 guests as they enjoyed lobster and filet mignon during a reception held at the Grand Wailea Resort.
6) Scarlett Johansson and Ryan Reynolds— Having sown the seeds of love, the romance between the two top stars reached fruition with a wedding ceremony held at the Clayoquet Wilderness Resort in British Columbia. The nuptials allowed the notables to get back to nature, with their guests enjoying horseback rides and fishing during their stay.
7) Chris Evert and Greg Norman— The arches of a former French monastery framed the tennis legend and the golfing great as they pledged their love to each other at The Cloisters, a romantic landmark on the One & Only Ocean Club in the Bahamas. A popular wedding locale for luminaries, the serene site looks down upon the island’s Versailles Gardens, where ’90’s heartthrob Jason Priestley said “I do” in 2005 to his bride, Naomi Lowde.
8) Jewel and Ty Murray– The Grammy Award-winning songbird became the rodeo champion’s Caribbean queen when she stepped out in a classic Monique Lhuillier wedding dress on to the sands outside of the Cove Atlantis resort in the Bahamas and spoke her self-penned vows.
9) Eli Manning and Abby McGrew– From actor Alan Thicke (the patriarch on Growing Pains) and Fantastic Four star Ioan Gruffudd to paparazzi-friendly pair Heidi Montag and Spencer Pratt, the One & Only Palmilla resort in Cabo San Lucas, Mexico is one of the entertainment world’s top spots to exchange vows. The football great donned a khaki suit for a 16-minute sunset ceremony with his longtime love in the spring of 2008.
10) James Gandolfini and Deborah Lin– A harpist’s rendition of “The Hawaiian Wedding Song” escorted the bride down the aisle of the Central Union Church in Honolulu, leading her to the Sopranos star, who stood at the altar along with his best man– his eight-year-old son. After their I do’s, the newlyweds and their friends feasted on Chinese roasted duck breast and angel hair pasta, Ahi tuna and broiled Mahi Mahi.