From Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes to David and Victoria Beckham, the romantic allure of a castle has appealed to a number of A-listers over the years. Before we say good-bye to 2007, Lovetripper takes a look back at the celebrities who chose to fortify their love with a wedding or wedding reception in a fairytale setting.
1) Eva Longoria and Tony Parker— After arriving at Chateau de Vaux le Vicomte in a black Rolls Royce Phantom, the newly dubbed Mrs. Parker exchanged her Angel Sanchez wedding dress for a Kaufman Franco frock before joining a reception held inside a tent on the grounds of the regal 17th century retreat, which is a star in its own right, having appeared in such cinematic ventures as A Little Romance, Marie Antoinette and The Man in the Iron Mask. The 107 brilliant-cut and square-cut diamonds adorning the bride’s Piaget Possession wedding band sparkled throughout the evening as she and her new husband danced to the Peter Gabriel tune “Book of Love” and cut slices of a five-tier, vanilla bean pound cake festooned with 500 sugar flowers . Before heading out on a short honeymoon trip to the Turks and Caicos islands, the couple signed their John Hancock’s on one of the chateau’s roof slates as a lasting reminder of their time at Fouquet’s former abode.
2) Elizabeth Hurley— Having pledged their devotion to one another in an intimate civil ceremony the day before, the model/actress and Arun Nayar welcomed family and friends to Sudeley Castle on March 3, 2007 for a celebration of their new life together as husband and wife. Ten pageboys, five bridesmaids, and the bride’s young son, in the role of ring bearer, walked down the aisle before the Estee Lauder model made her grand entrance on the arm of her friend and father figure, Elton John. Accompanied by the romantic strains of a Vivaldi composition, the bride clutched her Lily of the Valley bouquet as she walked toward the altar, the rustling chiffon layers of her white Versace gown creating an ethereal effect as she made her way past 300 guests.
The reverential refrain of “Praise My Soul,” the ceremony’s leading hymn, and “Wie Lieblich Sind Deine Wohnungen” echoed in the confines of St. Mary’s Church on the Sudeley Castle estate as the couple exchanged vows in an hour-long ceremony in which the the groom placed a gold Chopard wedding band on his beloved’s finger.
3) Jeri Ryan— The former “Star Trek: Voyager” cast member donned a Vera Wang wedding dress on the day she said “I do” to French chef Christophe Eme in a garden overlooked by Chateau de Noirieux, a 15th century manor. Lisa Vorce, event planner of Oh, How Charming! helped the couple create their vision of a perfect ceremony.
4) Shane Lynch— The ghostly image of a monk, said to dwell within the walls of the Great Hall, may have mingled with celebrity guests Ronan Keating and Mickey Graham as the two Boyzone members watched their former band mate pledge his love to Sheena White at Kinnitty Castle after a civil ceremony in Kent, England. The manor, situated on 10,000 acres of verdant land in County Offaly, Ireland, holds fond memories for the one-time entertainer, who offered best wishes to his sister, B*Witched singer Edele Lynch, at the castle during her wedding reception in 2006.
5) Usher Raymond and Tameka Foster— The smooth groove of “Before I Let Go” rang out inside a tent at Chateau Elan Winery and Resort, an Atlanta architectural gem inspired by a French castle, as the multi-Grammy Award winner and his love enjoyed their first dance together as husband and wife.
6) Will Haining and Michelle Marsh— The Oldham Athletic football star and the glamour model cut slices of a castle-shaped wedding cake concocted by Slattery’s Patissier and Chocolatier after they recited their self-penned vows during a ceremony held at Auchen Castle Hotel, a 4-star, 18th century retreat in Dumfriesshire, Scotland.
7) Holly Willoughby— The “Dancing on Ice” host walked down the aisle at St. Michael’s church on the Amberley Castle estate to receive a wedding band that now accompanies the platinum engagement ring adorned with eight diamonds she has worn since May 2006.
8) Des O’Connor and Jodie Brooke Wilson— Over the years Highclere Castle has been a silent witness to the weddings of Peter Andre and Katie Price and soccer star Thierry Henry. On September 17, 2007 the three-year-old son of “Countdown” host Des O’Connor and his long time love walked down the aisle on the Berkshire estate bearing a wedding band on a pillow to accompany his mother’s pink diamond engagement ring.
9) Coleen Nolan— The co-host of the British talk show “Loose Women” said “I do” to musician Ray Fensome in a ceremony held at Hazelwood Castle Hotel, an 11th century, 21-guest room sanctuary situated on 77 acres in North Yorkshire, England.
10) Mark Morrison— The kilt-clad member of the British trip hop trio Kosheen said “I do” to Iva Benediktova in a ceremony held on the grounds of Stirin Castle, an 18th century chateau hotel in Prague.