Broadway’s brightest shined at the 63rd annual Tony Awards, held at Radio City Music Hall on June 7, 2009. Who wore the best showstopping styles? Here are Lovetripper’s picks of the evening’s top frocks:
1) The Devil Wears Prada star Anne Hathaway looked heavenly in her Oscar de la Renta design as she introduced a number performed by the cast of Hair. A pair of crimson Christian Louboutin shoes carried the actress to the podium and, along with a ruby ring, introduced a pop of color to her knockout noir frock.
2) Class with a dash of sass, the plunging neckline and belted waist on this Reem Acra design highlights the sleek physique of perennial beauty Jane Fonda.
3) Although it’s the character of Maria who sings “I Feel Pretty,” performer Karen Olivo— who won a Tony for her role of Anita in the revival of West Side Story— no doubt felt like singing the classic tune when she slipped into this Donna Karan creation.
4) Although movie buffs may forever see her as one of The Goonies, today Martha Plimpton mesmerizes ticket holders as a Tony-nominated star of Pal Joey. Her sophisticated, off-the-shoulder silhouette is definitely a winner.
5) Soon to star alongside John Stamos in Broadway’s production of Bye Bye Birdie, the audience said a collective “Hello!” as Gina Gershon stepped on stage in this seductive Zuhair Murad creation. Fred Leighton jewelry added extra sparkle to the star’s entrance.
No color conveys drama quite like black, a hue which was the hit of the evening. However, a number of notables looked lovely in jewel tones. Here are two of our favorites:
A Broadway treasure, Tony Award winner Alice Ripley won in the fashion stakes as well with this sapphire blue beauty, which has a style that offers a hint of Old Hollywood glamor.
A long way from Stars Hollow, actress Lauren Graham of Gilmore Girls fame– who is currently wowing crowds on The Great White Way as Adelaide in a revival of Guys and Dolls— was a verdant vision in this one-shoulder silhouette, which was accented with a dainty black bow.