As the year draws to a close, Lovetripper takes a look back at some of the stars who started sporting sparklers on their ring fingers this calendar year. Which is your pick for the celebrity with the nicest ice in ’08?
1) Beyonce— While she sings her support for “Single Ladies” in her latest hit, the Grammy Award winner changed her marital status in April of 2008 when she said “I do” to long-time love Jay-Z. Although the superstar has stated that she did not want an engagement ring, the $5 million, 18-carat emerald cut diamond on a platinum band from jeweler Lorraine Schwartz– which made its public debut in September 2008– is viewed by many in the media as a sparkler with the dual role of engagement and wedding ring. Whatever the reason for the rock, this ring is a winner.
2) Mariah Carey— Through her vocal virtuosity, she has risen to the top spot on the charts more than any solo artist, and now she’s number one in the heart of actor Nick Cannon, who became her husband on April 30, 2008. Not long before their nuptials, the Drumline star presented the pop phenomenon with a $2.5 million ring from Jacob & Co. Totaling 17 carats, the 10-carat blush pink center diamond resting on a band of platinum is embraced not only by a presentation of 58 vivid pink diamonds, but also by two half moon-shaped stones.
3) Uma Thurman— Only the sparkle of her smile matches the dazzle of the 8-plus carat diamond that was slipped on the Kill Bill star’s finger in ’08 by Arpad “Arki” Busson. The regal rock is embellished with 20 smaller stones.
4) Ashlee Simpson— A socially-conscious couple, Fall Out Boy Pete Wentz slipped a conflict free diamond engagement ring on his pop star soul mate’s finger when he asked for her hand in marriage. A four-carat, Asscher cut sparkler highlighted with a row of pave diamonds, the symbol of their love was joined by a wedding band on May 17, 2008.
5) Scarlett Johansson— Going against the grain, the big screen beauty and her fiance, actor Ryan Reynolds, eschewed today’s popular platinum for a gold band which was topped with a 3-carat solitaire. The pre-“I do” design, crafted by jeweler Sonia Boyajian, was paired with a wedding band on September 27, 2008.
6) Amy Adams— The actress was Enchanted by her 2-carat, round cut diamond hugged by a circle of smaller diamonds which adorns her Jean Dousset of Beverly Hills engagement ring, which was presented to her by her love of the past six years, actor Darren Legallo.
7) Jennifer Hudson— In September 2008 reality star David Otunga presented his “Dreamgirl” with a dream engagement ring from Neil Lane, which features a 5-carat round diamond, embraced by a row of smaller diamonds, perched atop a platinum band adorned in pave diamonds.
8) Portia de Rossi— While Proposition 8 once again prevents the legal recognition of same-sex marriage in the state of California, the Neil Lane engagement ring which Ellen DeGeneres presented to the former Arrested Development star months before their nuptials is a symbol of the couple’s everlasting devotion. The band of pink pave diamonds crowned with a three-carat marquis cut diamond was a perfect complement to the bride’s Zac Posen wedding dress on her big day.
9) LaKisha Jones— Since opening its doors in 1924, Zales has helped to bring the “I do” dreams of countless couples to life. In June 2008 Larry Davis presented the American Idol finalist with a 4.5-carat sparkler from “The Diamond Store,” which was accompanied by a wedding band on October 5, 2008.
10) Bristol Palin— The diamond may only be 3/4 of a carat, but a princess cut sparkler sitting on a white gold band became one of the most talked about rings of the year when it was spotted on the left hand of former Republican vice-presidential nominee Sarah Palin’s daughter during the Republican convention. Presumed to be an engagement ring, the symbol of devotion gifted to the girl by beau Levi Johnston was sized at the Alaskan Gold Rush Jewelers.