As the year draws to a close, a number of notables are looking back with loving memories of their engagements. Whether they took their first step toward “I do” over dinner at a romantic restaurant or during an exotic holiday getaway, Lovetripper takes a look at the locales where the stars chose to propose in 2007.
1) Charlie Sheen— Brooke Mueller didn’t realize that an 11-carat engagement ring was on the menu as she dined with the Two and A Half Men star in their suite at the Four Seasons Hotel in Costa Rica, a 153-room retreat offering views of golden sand beaches, tropical gardens and cobalt blue waves of the Pacific Ocean.
2) Nick Cannon and Selita Ebanks— Although an October announcement revealed that their romance would not lead to a walk down the aisle, the Drumline star and the Victoria’s Secret model will always look back fondly on their May 7, 2007 proposal in the heart of Times Square, when a jumbotron flashed the words “Selita, Will You Marry Me?” as the actor slipped a 15-carat, cushion-cut engagement ring from Jacob & Co. on to the model’s finger.
3) Natalie Glebova— Thai tennis star Paradorn Srichaphan had two reasons to celebrate on April 13th, 2007. The day marked not only the start of his country’s New Year, but also the beginning of a new life together with the woman he loves as he presented the former Miss Universe with a 3-carat diamond engagement ring during a romantic vacation on the Indonesian island of Bali. The couple wed seven months later in a ceremony held in Bangkok.
4) Prince Joachim of Denmark— The colors of the French flag, represented by the ruby, diamond and sapphire that sparkles on Parisian Marie Cavallier’s engagement ring, are both a loving reminder of her native land and a symbol of the lifetime of happiness that is to come after the fourth in line to the Danish throne asked for her hand in marriage during a trip to Turkey.
5) Jimmy Fallon— Choosing a cinematic setting for his sunset proposal to movie producer Nancy Juvonen, the former Saturday Night Live comedian escorted his bride-to-be to a deck over the waters of Lake Winnepesaukee in Wolfeboro, New Hampshire, a view made famous in the Oscar-winning ode to everlasting love, On Golden Pond, where he presented the producer behind such romantic flicks as Never Been Kissed and 50 First Dates with a Neil Lane engagement ring.
6) Amber Peebles— The Louvre may be the home of such stirring works of art as Winged Victory, the Venus de Milo and Mona Lisa, but as he stood outside on the steps of the Paris museum, radio personality Brooke Howard-Smith only had eyes for one beauty– MTV New Zealand’s Amber Peebles. On bended knee, the prospective groom presented his love with a loose diamond, which the bride-to-be would later have set in a ring of her own design.
7) Rosamund Pike and director Joe Wright— Keira Knightley congratulated her “cinematic sister” as the actress’s Pride & Prejudice co-star and the director of the 2005 Jane Austen classic announced at The Bauer Hotel in Venice that they were engaged on the banks of Lake Como. The couple plan to become husband and wife in May 2008.
8) Mekhi Phifer— 2007 was a year of new beginnings for the ER star, who welcomed a 5lb., 4oz. baby boy on October 30th, six months after presenting a 2.65-carat diamond engagement ring to Oni Souratha during a getaway to Cabo San Lucas, Mexico.
9) Kate Walsh and Alex Young— They may be one of Tinseltown’s top twosomes, but the newly wed Private Practice star and the FOX studio executive left their hearts in San Francisco when the couple became engaged over dinner at Restaurant Gary Danko, a five-star Mobile-rated eatery. The Jubilee cut Neil Lane engagement ring slipped on the TV star’s finger was accompanied by a wedding band in September 2007 during a ceremony held in Ojai, California.
10) Heidi Montag and Spencer Pratt— A Santa Barbara sanctuary for stars in love, the Bacara Resort and Spa has been the site of several celebrity celebrations. Since opening its doors in 2000, the Spanish Colonial-style retreat has welcomed the weddings of Shanna Moakler and Travis Barker and Rules of Engagement cast member Bianca Kajlich and L.A. Galaxy soccer player Landon Donovan, hosted the wedding reception of Beverly Hills 90210‘s Jennie Garth and Peter Facinelli and provided a hideaway for One Tree Hill honeymooners Chad Michael Murray and Sophia Bush. In May 2007, the Tinseltown twosome from The Hills continued the tradition as Spencer Pratt knelt on bended knee and presented his love with a platinum engagement ring topped with a lemon amethyst embraced by small diamonds.