4) $PLATFORM=1; else $PLATFORM=2; } elseif (preg_match("/MSIE (\d)/i",$HTTP_USER_AGENT,$v)) { $browser="msie"; if (($version=$v[1])>4) $PLATFORM=1; else $PLATFORM=2; } elseif (preg_match("/Mozilla(?:\/|\s)(\d)/i",$HTTP_USER_AGENT,$v)) { $browser="navigator"; if (($version=$v[1])>4) $PLATFORM=1; else $PLATFORM=2; } else { $browser="other"; $version="unknown"; $PLATFORM=2; } } ?> Italy Marriage Regulations

Getting Married in Italy

Unlike in the US, the marriage laws in Italy are the same nationwide. However, you'll find that some cities like Florence waive some wedding regulations because of the high number of destination weddings they perform.

Florence waives the regulation that the couple provide birth certificates IF the marriage is between two US citizens.

Americans who marry in Italy must arrive with two witnesses at least four days before the ceremony at Florence's Civil Registrar in the Palazzo Vecchio to make a declaration of their intention to marry.

When appearing at the Civil Registrar, you'll need to show the following documents:
  • The Nulla Osta: this is a notarized oath Americans take which states that there is no reason the couple cannot be married as defined by US marriage laws. This statement is notarized by the American consul in Italy.
  • Valid U.S. passports for the bride and groom
  • a notarial fee of $50.00 is charged
  • the Consul's signature on this document is then authenticated by the Ufficio Legalizzazione at the Prefettura of any province in Tuscany or Emilia-Romagna, except Parma and Piacenza. This office in Florence is found at Via Giacomini 8 (telephone 055.278.3562), and the office is opened from 9:00 - 11:00 a.m. Monday through Saturday.
  • couples also need to purchase a Marca da Bollo or administrative fee stamp for Euro 10.33. This stamp can be purchased in a Tabacchi or tobacco shop; the couple presents the stamp to the clerk at the Ufficio Legalizzazione for each document to be authenticated. Note: a "Nulla Osta" done at the embassy in Rome is not accepted at the Comune in Florence.
  • an Atto Notorio, an oath of the American citizen sworn to in the presence of two witnesses and notarized by an Italian Consul in the U.S. This document is obtained before the trip and states that there is no legal reason the couple cannot be married under US laws. Americans obtain the form at the nearest Italian Consulate in the U.S.
  • Also, a second administrative stamp must be purchased, the "Marche per atti giudiziari."Also purchased in a tobacco shop, this stamp costs €28.92
  • Birth certificate (although Florence may waive this requirement) which should show the names of both parents.
  • if the bride or groom are under age 18, they must have a sworn statement of consent to the marriage by the parents or legal guardian of an American citizen under 18 [Note: any documents must be translated into Italian.]
  • if either of you has been previously married, you must provide legal evidence of divorce, annulment, or certificate of death. [There is a 300 day waiting period after divorce or dissolution of marriage before you can marry again.]
  • once all the paperwork's final, banns are posted in the City Hall for two consecutive Sundays before the marriage. [This requirement can be waived if neither of you is Italian and neither is residing in Italy.]

Florence and the surrounding Tuscany region have many beautiful wedding locations. Many couples marry in a civil ceremony at Ponte Vecchio's beautiful "Red Room." Ceremonies will be performed in Italian so you will need a translator if you do not speak Italian.

Your marriage will be accepted as legal in the US but, if you'd like to go an extra step, you may have your marriage certificate authenticated with an Apostille. Take your certificate to the the same office that authenticated the Consul’s signature in the city where your marriage was performed and ask that an Apostille on the certificate.

For more on laws covering US marriages in Italy, see the US Consulate's Italian website.

Related Pages:

Note: Lovetripper.com provides the above information for guidance purposes only. Couples should verify all information with the consulate from their respective countries and with the local offices before making any plans.