How to Get Married in Denmark

Applications and/or Documents Required: Bring along original copies of the following (and be sure pack these in your hand luggage, never in your checked bags):

Birth certificate and valid passport Note: If your name has been legally changed since the issuance of your birth certificate or passport, you should present an official court decree to this effect.

If either of the parties has been previously married, a legally binding divorce decree must be submitted. (See below for more about the requirements concerning divorce decrees.)

In the City of Copenhagen, documentation should be submitted to Københavns Overpræsidium (the Prefect of Copenhagen).

If you plan to get married outside the City of Copenhagen, you should contact the local Statsamt (Government Office).

Foreign Divorce Decrees:
Foreign divorce decrees must be approved by Danish authorities before marriage can take place in Denmark. Danish law requires that a decree of divorce or annulment of marriage clearly shows it to be a final judgment, that no appeal has or can be filed, and that the parties to the divorce are free to remarry.

As U.S. divorce decrees do not contain the exact wording required by Danish law, you will need to call the Clerk of Court and explain that you are attempting to get married in Denmark and that you need a statement from their office confirming:

  • Your divorce decree, file number xxxx , granted on (date) is a FINAL JUDGMENT
  • NO APPEAL pending, no appeal can be filed
  • The parties to the divorce are FREE TO REMARRY

It is recommended that you forward a copy of your divorce decree to the marriage office before your arrival in Denmark.

Please note:

  • On Fridays most public offices close as early as 1:00PM.
  • In general the marriage offices need between 4 days and 2 weeks to process the papers. If the marriage office determines that a foreign divorce decree needs additional clarification, please allow an additional 2 to 4 weeks.
  • Some of the municipalities require that you reside in their municipality (Kommune) for a period of time before marriage may be performed, usually 3 days. You should check with the municipality in advance since this requirement varies.
  • The Copenhagen Marriage Office advises that parties should plan to stay at least 2 weeks.

~ by Liz Stiglets

Related Pages:

Note: provides the above information for guidance purposes only. Couples should verify all information with the consulate from their respective countries and with the local offices before making any plans.

Share on Facebook 


Where to Honeymoon Destination Weddings Romantic Travel Company Info
How to plan a honeymoon
Mexico, Latin America
Africa, Middle East
South Pacific, Asia, Australia
How to plan a destination wedding
Marriage regulations across the world
Theme Weddings
Castle Venues
"I Do" Hotspots:
All-inclusive resorts
B&Bs, Inns
Couples resorts

Stages: dating to wedding
The honeymoon spirit at home: movies, music & more
About Us, Privacy Policy, Disclaimer
Follow us on social media sites
Our other sites
Press Room
Contact Us Romantic Travel Guide

Copyright 2000-2013
All rights Reserved
No portion of this site may be reproduced in
any way without written permission from